Sunday, October 19, 2008

homeless children

Before I had children, I remember seeing families at stores with children with uncombed hair, stained clothes, runny noses, and dirty faces. I thought to myself, "my children will look nice and be clean when I go places with them." It is not a matter of wearing fancy clothes. It is just having children that don't look neglected. Well I now realize I am one of those neglectful mothers. Yesterday was a busy day with lots of things we were trying to get done. I took Kylee to get her ears pierced and then I met Matt to get the rest of the kids from him. Then, we had to continue running more errands. I had not helped with getting the kids ready that morning. As we were running (literally) through Target, I looked at my children and realized how homeless they all looked. The first thing I noticed was that none of my children had their hair combed, Brayden looking the worst with his hair standing straight up like he had just gotten out of bed. Kylee was wearing a white shirt with chocolate milk stains on it from the morning. Brayden had a splotchy face and green crust around his nose with mocos coming out. The only one that looked decent was Blake, and he was hidden in the stroller. As I rushed to get things done quickly, I thought, "please don't look closely at my children." I am sure people were thinking "that mother shouldn't have 4 children if she can't take care of them." The one bright spot was that they were all pretty obedient because they knew I was on a mission and needed their help.

1 comment:

Camille said...

those neglected children!! What does it mean when the mom has crustys on her face??? ahem that has been me!